Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Infectiousness of Hepatitis-B/HIV during acute infection
Nov 13, 2000

Dear Doctor

I read somewhere that Hepatitis-B is extremely infectious (100 times more than HIV) mainly because the viral load is much higher.

During acute HIV infection the viral load of HIV can be 1000 times higher (I believe) than later on. Does that imply that during acute infection HIV is just as infectious (or even more) than Hepatitis-B ?

I also read that occasionally it happens that people living in the same household as somebody with Hepatitis-B catches the disease just from casual everyday non-sexual contact. Could the same happen with HIV if the person having HIV was in the stage of acute infection?

Do you think a person with acute HIV infection could transmit the virus to somebody else by sharing the same bathroom? What if the hand soap/sink/water tap became contaminated by small amounts (maybe not even visible) of blood with a very high viral load?

I really appreciate your answer. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Hepatitis B can be rarely transmitted in households, but probably from wounds or razors that involve blood. HIV would have to transmitted in the same way, blood to blood exchange. The likelihood of HIV surviving on a bar of soap is vanishingly small. DTD

Previous
Life-Long Implications of Hepatitis A and B
Next
Coinfection and Testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.