HIV protection from Hep Vaccine

Dear Dr.

I wrote you last time and have been checking 3 times a day to get your response. I notice that you only respond every couple weeks. Today I see a whole bunch of new responses and my question wasn't even in them!!!! I'm living in fear and would like to find out some information. Please respond ASAP!

I wanted to know about my HIV exposure. I thought I heard somewhere that people who are vaccinated against Hep A and Hep B have another layer of protection from getting infected with HIV. Is that true? I had protected intercourse (I used a condom) with a girl I didn't know in a third world country, and then I gave her unprotected oral sex. At the time I didn't know this was risky, but since I've found out that it is, I'm very fearful. I'm scheduled to get an HIV test this week, but wanted to know about this. I am vaccinated against Hep A and Hep B and am just wondering if that could have helped to protect me.

Please respond soon!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Worried,

Vaccination against hepatitis A and B offer good protection against those viruses but none against HIV. What you described is a low risk exposure, so your chances are good. Getting tested is the best thing to do. Good luck! DTD

Length of treatment
Life-Long Implications of Hepatitis A and B