Marijuana Usage with Hepatitis C

I would like to know the effects to the system, if any, of a person with Hepatitis C using marijuana almost daily to promote appetite and for rest a night. My son has chronic Hepatitis C, with alcohol Hepatitis on top, and cirrhosis a big possibility.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Susan,

The active ingredient in marijuana is not a problem for the liver and if it keeps your son from using alcohol,then I would not have a problem with it. If he is drinking anyway, then it is just another abused substance. The other issue of course is the danger of the smoke to the lungs which seems to be more toxic than cigarette smoke, although most people don't smoke 20 joints per day. The most important thing is to stop alcohol and get treatment for hepatitis C. Good luck with him! DTD

Length of Treatment for HCV
HIV / Hepatitis Questions