Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

So Much Conflicting Info on the Net
Nov 27, 2000

Dear Dr Dieterich,

In assessing my risk from a recent encounter I find so much conflicting information related to Hep B. From; transmission from using the chopsticks of an infected individual, to, most cases resulting from anal (due to blood exposure -receptive or insertive partner). In my encounter I rubbed my unprotected penis near my partners vagina (did not insert), fingered her vagina, and open mouth kissed. I imagine anything is possible but would you consider this to be a "risk encounter". Based on what I know this carries only a theoretical risk for HIV. HBV I cannot be sure(??) Thank You!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The risks are theoretical with HBV too. It is basically transmitted like HIV so anything that is a risk for HIV is a risk for HBV. Get vaccinated! By the way, what did you do with the chopsticks? That could be a risk too if you did anything but use them to eat. DTD

Previous
HVG
Next
Can i get it too????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.