Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help interpret Hep B test results
Jan 19, 2002

My recent test results shows: HB S AG W/REFLEX CONF positive >14.6 HB E AG negative HB E AB positive HB CORE AB,TOT positive HB S AB 50.2 HB CORE AB (IGM) negative HBV DNA <5 pg/ml Liver test results: ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 139 AST 33 ALT 47

Also,could you please answer this question: My husband of many years has tested negative for all the above.Is it possible or the test was not accurate? I heard that HEP B is sexually transmited ...he is neg after many years of relationship...?

What does it mean if somebody is HB E AB positive and HB E Ag negative? Is it poss that the child received e Antibody from it's mother (test result above)or he was infected during the birth? Is now: HB S Ag neg with HB S Ab pos,and HB Core Ab ,Tot positive. Thank you very much for taking time to help me understand this very complicated issue !

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The child was infected and cleared the virus ,and has now immunity for HBV.This is showed by the reactive HBsAb. The mother's tests show HVB in the process of clearance or resolution.The HBeAb is seen when the infection is clearing and after the HBeAg is already negative.When the e antigen is negative,the patient is not infectious,and you can see that there is no active virus in blood.(HBV DNA negative),.We should expect next, to loss all the HBsAg and retain the HBsAb and HBcAB reactive.The s(surface antibody),may be lost after many years,but the core;c;antibody will remain as a permanent marker of past infection. Your husband has not been infected yet, and he has no inmmunity neither.He should have the HBV vaccine as soon as possible.You should also have safe sex till you are sure that the HBsAg,is negative.The incubation period of HBV can be up to 6 months,so still your husband can develop acute Hepatitis.Good luck.

Previous
HEP B vaccine failure
Next
HIV/HCV Co-infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.