Dying from Hep C

I am very concerned that my husband is going to die. I would like to know what comes before dying. When will we know he is going to die, and what will his death be like? His white count is low, and he is on treatment with interferon. He has Hepatitis C for 25 years.

Thank you J Hill

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

You did not give information about the status of the liver ,age ,and other clinical details to have an idea of your husband's condition.I assume that, if he is receiving thrapy,he has no end stage disease or decompensated liver disease.Only around 20-30% of all HCV cases go on to develop cirrhosis,and this can be stopped with treatment. Patients that develop cirrhosis,do so after 30-40years of infection.Death ocurrs mostly secondary to gastrointestinal bleeding and hepatic failure(jaundice,ascites,legs edema,encephalopathy,mental changes,coagulation problems etc.) Please give more information of your husband status,if you need more specific comments.

Viral Load & Biopsy re: Treatment
HEP B vaccine failure