For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

dear Dr. Maribel, recently, I have been using (gay) sauna extensively, without entering into any sexual contact. However, I ended up a week later with yellow discharge from my penis and weak burning in it. I seek for your professional opinion on possibilty of acquiring or getting infected by HIV, Hepatitis and/or any other sexually transmitted dease(s) thru utilizing sauna area? After all, please consider that penis is, whether we like it or not, constantly exposed to benches and sitting areas in sauna where some other people, probably infected, might have just been sitting. What is the danger to get infected by HIV, HEP and STD? Does water and steam really tranmit infections that are usually sexually transmitted?

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

It is very difficult to answer your question.Hepatitis B and C are sexually trasmitted,much more B,than C.In theory, virus particles can enter exposed ,broken mucosa or skin in both types of Hepatitis .How this may happen in the activities you describe? ,you will need to asses yourself.I do not think that the amount of heat or steam affects any way the risk of infection. Hepatitis A,is trasmitted by oral ingestion of the virus (food or water).It seems logical to think that oral sex can be risky ,and of course,lack of basic hygiene while handling food etc.This will also apply to infections of the genitourinary and gastrointestinal tract also. Overall your common sense is telling you that you need to be concerned with these activities,and I think you should stop all behavior that may put you at any risk.

HepC Geno 2b has good chance of being cured?
Hepatitis B Cronico