ACH443 Trials

Dr. Dieterich, I have heard of a new antiretroviral drug being tested. Its name is ACH443. I was diagnosed one year ago with Hep B as a Chronic Carrier. My liver bipsy didn't show damages at that time. My ALT is 226 and AST is 100. I don't want to rush into a trial based on financial restrictions. I could probably afford Interferon, but I am concerned about side effects, but the idea of having something like 33 of chances to get cured after 4 months makes it a good option, better than Epivir (1 year) that besides the risk of having some kind of mutant virus may be out of my budget. I don't have health insurance. What would be your advice? Thanks and congratulations for your job supporting us.

The ACH drug is a good one and would not require any insurance. This phase of it is only a short trial, but we will guarantee that you will get on the longer version of the trial if you did the two week trial now. Please contact Debby Goldman at 212 995 6907 if you would like to volunteer. There appears to date to be no side effects. Hope to see you and anyone else who would like to participate! DTD

Thanks Dr. Dieterich. I am aware that for Clinical Trials you don't need Health Insurance. But I would like to know more where to read a comparison between Entecavir, Adefovir and ACH443. Should I try to be in any trial with Adefovir? Do you know of any current trial with this drug? How can I know of any side effects with ACH443?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The question is whether you can afford the side effects of interferon. Treatment with nucleosides has virtually no side effects and about the same success rate as interferon. There are numerous new drugs for hep B coming out which would treat resistant viruses as they pop up. Interferon side effects with the hep B dose can be daunting. Good luck! DTD

Hep B /HIV clear or not?Help
Hepatitis A