ALT/AST and Viral Load Test Results

Hi:

I would like to thank you for all of your help so far.

I now have another question. My husband is supposed to start treatment the 1st of the year and as you know we are very scared.

His Biopsy showed mild-moderate fibrosis with some scarring, but in the past year his ALT and AST have went down without being on treatment ALT was 189 and now is 137 (still high) and his AST was 112 and now is 79 (still high). His viral load went up from 880,000 to 1,180,000 WHAT does that mean? He has stopped drinking and is working out and taking milk thistle and another liver vitamin.

Happy Holidays ...

Response from Dr. Fried

Levels of ALT fluctuate and do not reflect sugnificant changes in HCV disease. Similarly, levels of serum HCV RNA are variable due, sometimes due to variability of the tests that are used to measure HCV RNA. Change from 800,000 to 1 million are not significant. In addition, the level of HCV RNA does not correlate with disease progression, so the disease is not worse becaues the level of virus may be a bit higher than someone else's viral level.

Be careful about herbs and "liver vitamins". Some of them are very harmful to the liver.

needles
pains and aches