For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

A & B vaccines at same time?

Hi, Can Hepatitis A & B vaccines be given at the same time? How would you schedule out the shots for A & B? Also, if I received the B vaccine in the mid 80's, does it need to be repeated? (note - I just tested negative for A, B, & C, but do have AIDS). Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Fried

The HAV and HBV vaccine can be given at the same time. HAV vaccine requires two injections given 6 months apart. HBV requires three injections, usually at 0,1, and 6 months although other schedules may be used. There is also a newly approved preparation that combines the A and B vaccine and is given as three injections in total.

is hepatitis b in u for life?