Alternative meds for hepatitis C

I have a mild scarring because of hep C . I have it since 1968? I think...can other methods keep the scarring from progressing? I am so worried about the side effects with the meds?Thank you Happy New Year!

Response from Dr. Fried

The best way to prevent progression of scarring (development of cirrhosis)from HCV is to permanently remove the virus from your system. The only proven way to do this is with interferon-based treatments (with ribavirin). There is data to suggest that even the scarring can improve in many peoplewho are treated. For most patients, the side effects of the treatments are manageable with the help of their healthcare providers, so that should not completely discourage you from being treated.

Very early studies are underway to test ways to help the scarring, or fibrosis,in patients who don't respond to the available antiviral medicines.

hep. B with pregnancy and tests...
is hepatitis b in u for life?