hep. B with pregnancy and tests...

Hello Dr. My wife is finally pregnant for the first time after six years of medical help. However the blood tests resulted as follows: HBsAg-Vidas(+)14.98 (<0.13), ANTI-HBs Quantitative- Vidas(-) 0 mIU/mL (<5mIU/mL).

what is the meaning of these results? Does that mean that my wife is chronic Hep. B patient? if the tests are not meaningfull what additional tests should we take? after 8 years of marriage why my blood test resulted negative(0 HBsAg and 0 Anti HBs)? Does that mean that she is suffering the virus right now? and my last questionn is about our baby, does she has Hep B and what should we do ? please help us. we are in trouble... Thank you so much

Response from Dr. Fried

Wonderful news about the pregnancy!

Hepatitis B in pregnancy is an important issue. I am not familiar with the exact names of the tests that you describe. However, in general terms, if someone is positive for hepatitis B surface antigen then they carry the hepatitis B virus. At the time of birth, the baby is immediately given the hepatitis B immune globulin and the hepatitis B vaccine which will prevent the baby from getting infected with hepatitis B. Your doctor will discuss this further with you.

If you have no blood markers of hepatitis B infection, you should also get the hepatitis B vaccine which will make you immune and prevent infection in the future.

Help!!!
Alternative meds for hepatitis C