Hepatitis Vaccine: An Important Part of AIDS Treatment Strategy?

Hi, I'm a 43 year old male with AIDS. Currently CD4 count is in the low 300's (was once as low as 24) and viral load is undetectable. I did have the Hepatitis B shots back in the mid-1980's. Recently, when liver function tests were high, I was tested for Hepatitis A, B, and C. All were negative. Just a few questions about this -

1. Are Hepatitis A & B vaccines usually recommended as part of an overall AIDS treatment strategy? 2. Since my Hep B test was negative, does this mean that the vaccine needs to be repeated? or boosted? 3. Can the Hepatitis A and B vaccines be given at the same time?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Hepatitis A and B vaccines are recommended for all people with HIV especially if they have HCV too. There is a new combination vaccine for hepatitis A and B that combines both into one shot. You can take them either together or separately. If you do not have antibodies for hepatitis B,then you should have another round of vaccine. There is a small percentage of people who never respond to vaccine about 5%, but that does not mean that they don't provide at least some protection from the virus. DTD

HepC &Stage IV Cirrhosis/Liver Transplant
Help!!!