|Hepatitis Vaccine: An Important Part of AIDS Treatment Strategy?
Dec 31, 2001
Hi, I'm a 43 year old male with AIDS. Currently CD4 count is in the low 300's (was once as low as 24) and viral load is undetectable. I did have the Hepatitis B shots back in the mid-1980's. Recently, when liver function tests were high, I was tested for Hepatitis A, B, and C. All were negative. Just a few questions about this -
1. Are Hepatitis A & B vaccines usually recommended as part of an overall AIDS treatment strategy? 2. Since my Hep B test was negative, does this mean that the vaccine needs to be repeated? or boosted? 3. Can the Hepatitis A and B vaccines be given at the same time?
Response from Dr. Dieterich
Hepatitis A and B vaccines are recommended for all people with HIV especially if they have HCV too. There is a new combination vaccine for hepatitis A and B that combines both into one shot. You can take them either together or separately. If you do not have antibodies for hepatitis B,then you should have another round of vaccine. There is a small percentage of people who never respond to vaccine about 5%, but that does not mean that they don't provide at least some protection from the virus. DTD
HepC &Stage IV Cirrhosis/Liver Transplant
- Sex With A Prostitute Should I Get Test For AIDS
- Dizziness After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Dry Cough After Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Herpes After Sharing Vibrators Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Testicles After Touching A Bloody Scab Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Jock Itch After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.