Vacination HCV? HBV?

Dear Maribel: I have acquired, a week ago, a first shot of HBV vacine since in my country (Croatia) it is now widely publisized as for prevention purposes (cost is approx. 26 EUR or as many ). Since I am a member of so-called riskier (!) group (gay), I would like to take vacine for HCV virus, too. However, public health dept. asures me that there is absolutely no prevention vacine for HCV at this moment. Also, taking HBV vacine(s) lasts for 6 months (3 shots)- can that be made shorter? At what point of time can I be felt sure that I am protected from HBV - only after the final 3rd vacine?

Thank your very much in advance!

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

You will need the complete 3 shots vaccine course to be sure that you have the most benefit and the longer duration of immunity with the vaccine.Some people can develop immunity with only 2 shots, but you are risking to fail if you do not finish.My advise to you is to do all the schedule . There is no vaccine for HCV,and the possibility of having any in the near future is nil.It is important that you have safe sex,as it can be also trasmitted that way;and of course no blood contact as sharing needles ,razors,etc.Good luck with the B vaccine.

Please clarify
wait for Pegasys