Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vacination HCV? HBV?
Dec 28, 2001

Dear Maribel: I have acquired, a week ago, a first shot of HBV vacine since in my country (Croatia) it is now widely publisized as for prevention purposes (cost is approx. 26 EUR or as many ). Since I am a member of so-called riskier (!) group (gay), I would like to take vacine for HCV virus, too. However, public health dept. asures me that there is absolutely no prevention vacine for HCV at this moment. Also, taking HBV vacine(s) lasts for 6 months (3 shots)- can that be made shorter? At what point of time can I be felt sure that I am protected from HBV - only after the final 3rd vacine?

Thank your very much in advance!

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

You will need the complete 3 shots vaccine course to be sure that you have the most benefit and the longer duration of immunity with the vaccine.Some people can develop immunity with only 2 shots, but you are risking to fail if you do not finish.My advise to you is to do all the schedule . There is no vaccine for HCV,and the possibility of having any in the near future is nil.It is important that you have safe sex,as it can be also trasmitted that way;and of course no blood contact as sharing needles ,razors,etc.Good luck with the B vaccine.

Previous
Please clarify
Next
wait for Pegasys

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.