extreme weakness and fatigue

dear dr. bob im 44, married and had sexual contact with a woman on oct. 10th. there was just oral sex, no penetration whatsoever. exactly 2 weeks later i got some strange ulcera in the nose and got extreme weak and tired, had nausea a swollen lymphnode and very atrong muscle pain. one week later my wife got nausea so strong, she had to be hospitalized. they assumed it was morbus miniere but didn't find anything. when she got home she got a rash and so did i on the upper trunk, some small red spots. i didnt make an hiv test then because it was in the window period. about 2 weeks ago she got a mono like illness, but no fever. i didnt have this, instead my feet and hands started to hurt and the weakness and fatigue still stays on although its already two months now and it seems like all the symptoms are getting even worse. the bloodtests we did are completely fine includinh hep b and c. the lymphnode is still swollen. i'm very scared ,i was in an aids center, they told me its very unlikely that i have gotten hiv this way but connet imagine what else it would be because we are both very sick. please dr. bob let me know what you think of it if you find the time to answer me and excuse my bad english, i'm from vienna.thank you very much and i hope they find a cure for this terrible disease because a lot of intelligence has been wasted by this.

Hello Vienna,

You don't need to apologize for your English. I could almost hear the Viennese accent! Oral sex is considered a relatively low-risk activity. Your symptoms - nose ulcer, extreme fatigue, and muscle pain - are not consistent with the usual symptoms we see with HIV infection. Swollen glands and red spots are very common to many illnesses, particularly viruses and not directly diagnostic of HIV. Certainly you and your wife seem to have picked up something, but I agree with the AIDS center that your risk is extremely low and that your symptoms are not indicative of HIV infection. To absolutely confirm this, you and your wife can get HIV/AIDS tests. So, if not HIV, what could it be? Mono or some type of hepatitis was a good guess. It certainly sounds like some sort of viral illness. Most of these should resolve on their own over time. Check with an infectious diseases doctor if you are still having a lot of symptoms. Blood tests should be able to pinpoint the problem. So next step, get the AIDS test if you haven't already. It will most certainly be negative. It you're still feeling ill, see the infectious diseases specialist.

While waiting for an appointment, see a concert at the Musikverein and then go to Demmlers for some hot chocolate, whipped cream, and some of the world's most delectable pastries!

Wishing you happy, healthy holidays,

RE: Dr. Bob...No one will answer me!!!
Dr Rob...I'm worried about you..n me..