teen needs some info for problem

Dear Doctor, i am a 16yrs 8mon and pretty heathly, except for a severe patella femeral syndrome problem. i am going in for surgery for this problem in March, but i have every sign of anemia and have had my psychologist and a couple teachers ask me if i was anemic. i have done ALOT of research and still come out at the same place. I am going to try iron pills from the drug store, but what is the recomended dose/type of pill. i weigh about 140 and am 5'7. please get back to me, thanks alot. ~Megs

Hi Megs,

If you really do have "every sign of anemia," you would be one very sick person! I'm sure your psychologist and teachers mean well, but don't take their word for it. Anemia is extremely easy to diagnose. A very simple blood test called hemoglobin level will give you your answer right away. For women, the normal range is 12-16 g/dL. If you're below that, you're anemic. Don't take iron pills unless you need them. How do you know if you need them? Again, the answer is a simple blood test that measures your body's iron stores. If low, your doctor will prescribe the right dose for replacement therapy.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Happy Holidays.

Extremely hot...
I've Leukopenia Help Doc. Please