Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

kissing a +?
Dec 13, 2001

is open mouth kissing still considered safe, or should i consider testing after kissing? CDC councelor told me to consider it risky and that my mouth is like a "vagina" (been called worse names than this before!) and that blood is commonly found in the mouth of people who have just eaten or brushed/flossed. i see only one case where this transmission occured. my only risks...no sex, not yet! but have frenched kissed since my recent divorce. i also got a tattoo. the tattoo was performed under sterile conditions, autoclave, single-use needles, tubes, wraps, etc. tested negative before the kissing and tattoo. do these risks warrent testing? thanks...divorced and tattooed and ready for some loving!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Dear Divorced and Tattooed and Ready for Some Loving,

Testing after every open mouth kiss? Oh, my, my, my. We'd need to build more testing sites very quickly. To handle that load, they would have to be more plentiful than Starbucks! So that CDC counselor said your mouth was like a vagina? Hmmm - well most of the folks who work at the CDC kind of look like a day-old cake to me, so I wouldn't worry too much. When they told you your mouth was like a vagina, perhaps you should have told them that would come as a surprise to a lot of dentists! So kissing with or without the tonsil hockey is extremely low risk and testing is certainly not required after this very pleasureable activity. Of course, I should mention all bets are off if you kiss like Dracula. Tattooing is considered safe with appropriate sterile technique. So, Divorced and Tattooed, go out and get some of that loving.

Stay safe, stay well.

Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
NOT a Vulcan!! (Just a Poet!)
Next
Extremely hot...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.