Anemia

Was anemia as common with HIV patients back in the early days of the "epidemic" as it is now with all the cocktail therapies being used?

P.S. I think you're extremely HOT!

Bet you say that to all the experts on this website just to increase the chances we'll post a reply to your question. Well, as you can see, that tactic works very well, because here I am answering!

Anemia has been quite common throughout the epidemic. In fact, it was even a bit more common in the "bad old days," particularly when AZT was the only drug available and we were using very high doses. Bottom line is that it has been and continues to be a common, under diagnosed, and under treated condition. I encourage HIV-positive folks to know and follow their hemoglobin levels as closely as their CD4 counts or viral loads. Treatment of HIV-related anemia is now extremely effective and safe. Treatment of even mild to moderate HIV-related anemia with Procrit, for instance, has been shown to significantly increase quality of life and energy level. It is also associated with improved survival.

Now exactly how hot is "extremely hot?" And should one of us take a cold shower?

Happy Holidays.

desperate fellow italian
How Soon Does Anemia Occur?