Dr. Bob, PLEASE HELP!

I asked this question several times at the safe sex fourm and I have asked others and have never had a answer. I am very scared and so please, please help!!! About 36 days(over 5 weeks) after I had performed oral sex on female I had the following symptoms: fever of 99.7 max which lasted about 2 or 3 days, congestion and phlegm(hope I spelled it right!)it was sometimes sort of yellowish and brown in color and lasted about 3-4days, and I had a cough(kept me up all night one night) this cough lasted about 10 days and went away. was only bad for about a day or two. I never had trouble breathing though or anything like that. I had a slight scrachy throat for one or two days, No rash, no stool problems, no aches, no night sweats. I had a nurse to feel my throat and she did not feel any swollen glands or lymph nodes(I asked her she said they felt normal) Could you please tell me if you think this could ARS the beging of HIV? Is 36 days to long for it to take to devlope ARS(I was told 2-4 weeks so I figured less than 30 days) is this right? Do my symptoms sound like what one would exspect for ARS? Is it realistic that I could get HIV from performing oral sex on a woman?? PLEASE HELP ME!!! I am scared no one to ask other than you. By the way my family was from Naples I am going there for christmas and it would be nice to have this cleared up so I could relax and enjoy the trip.

Your symptoms sound like a head cold, not HIV ARS! Performing oral sex on a woman, while not absolutely risk free, is a relatively low-risk exposure. ARS usually occurs 2-4 weeks following infection. So based on your exposure and symptoms, do I think you contracted HIV? No, I honestly do not. Of course, the only way to be absolutely certain would be to have an HIV test. Do I think that's necessary in your case? Nope.

Naples, eh? Lucky you! Do be careful if you're driving around the "Zona Industriale." I got lost driving there recently and wasn't sure I was going to make it out alive. Luckily my Italian looks, but certainly not my poor Italian language skills, protected me.

Si rilassi. Smetta di preoccuparsi. Ed abbia una vacanza meravigliosa in Napoli. Buon Natale.

Giordi examinations
fatigue, infections and viral load