UNDETECTED

I HAVE ONE CHILD AND EXPECTING ANOTHER IN 3 MONTHS. MY DOCTOR IS REQUESTING AN HIV TEST. I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST 10 YEARS AND WE HAVE BEEN PRETTY HEALTHY. COULD HIV BE UNDETECTED FOR THIS LONG? PLEASE ANSWER

"Could" HIV be undetected for 10 years? Well, anything is possible. Is it likely? No, it's not. Should you have an HIV test? Yes, I would recommend it for all moms-to-be. Why? Well, first of all, in the unlikely event that you are HIV-positive, you would want to know so that your health could be monitored and treatment given if necessary. Perhaps even more importantly, you'd want to know for the sake of your unborn child. Medications are now very effective in preventing vertical transmission, i.e. HIV being passed from mother to her fetus.

So, do you have anything to worry about? Most likely not, but isn't it worth being tested just to give you absolute peace of mind and avoid an unnecessary tragedy? I'm not sure where you are writing from, but in the U.S., HIV tests are offered and recommended for pregnant women.

Get tested. You'll feel better. Congratulations on the impending new addition!

Thanks and Donations - Continued
Treatment for Fatique?