Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

UNDETECTED
Nov 3, 2001

I HAVE ONE CHILD AND EXPECTING ANOTHER IN 3 MONTHS. MY DOCTOR IS REQUESTING AN HIV TEST. I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST 10 YEARS AND WE HAVE BEEN PRETTY HEALTHY. COULD HIV BE UNDETECTED FOR THIS LONG? PLEASE ANSWER

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Could" HIV be undetected for 10 years? Well, anything is possible. Is it likely? No, it's not. Should you have an HIV test? Yes, I would recommend it for all moms-to-be. Why? Well, first of all, in the unlikely event that you are HIV-positive, you would want to know so that your health could be monitored and treatment given if necessary. Perhaps even more importantly, you'd want to know for the sake of your unborn child. Medications are now very effective in preventing vertical transmission, i.e. HIV being passed from mother to her fetus.

So, do you have anything to worry about? Most likely not, but isn't it worth being tested just to give you absolute peace of mind and avoid an unnecessary tragedy? I'm not sure where you are writing from, but in the U.S., HIV tests are offered and recommended for pregnant women.

Get tested. You'll feel better. Congratulations on the impending new addition!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thanks and Donations - Continued
Next
Treatment for Fatique?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.