A touch of anemia

Hey Dr. Bob, My doc say's I have a "touch of anemia" ... I think he want's to use IVIG (inta-venious gamma globulins) this the same thing as Procrit? By the way, sorry I missed your talk I heard it was very entertaining. Thanks for donating your honorarium money to our group. You are one of a kind dude! Anemic Mick

Dear Anemic Mick,

Intravenous immunoglobulin preparations are generally not used to treat a "touch of anemia." These products can be helpful in some types of thrombocytopenia (low platelets) and in other medical conditions, but generally not mild anemia (low red blood cells). There is one exception. Anemia caused by Parvovirus B19. This is usually a severe anemia and can be effectively treated with IVIG. From the tone of your question, it sounds doubtful that you have parvovirus B19-induced anemia.

Procrit is an entirely different product. Procrit is identical to a substance your body produces naturally called "erythropoietin." Erythropoietin stimulates red blood cell production in your bone marrow - the red blood cell factory.

Check with your doctor again and ask him to clarify your "touch of anemia" and exactly what therapy he is recommending. Write back if anything doesn't seem to make sense to you or if you have any further questions or concerns.

You're most welcome!

ultram/immunosuppression/fatigue
PRO-Dr. Bob .... PROcrit