Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A touch of anemia
Nov 1, 2001

Hey Dr. Bob, My doc say's I have a "touch of anemia" ... I think he want's to use IVIG (inta-venious gamma globulins) this the same thing as Procrit? By the way, sorry I missed your talk I heard it was very entertaining. Thanks for donating your honorarium money to our group. You are one of a kind dude! Anemic Mick

Response from Dr. Frascino

Dear Anemic Mick,

Intravenous immunoglobulin preparations are generally not used to treat a "touch of anemia." These products can be helpful in some types of thrombocytopenia (low platelets) and in other medical conditions, but generally not mild anemia (low red blood cells). There is one exception. Anemia caused by Parvovirus B19. This is usually a severe anemia and can be effectively treated with IVIG. From the tone of your question, it sounds doubtful that you have parvovirus B19-induced anemia.

Procrit is an entirely different product. Procrit is identical to a substance your body produces naturally called "erythropoietin." Erythropoietin stimulates red blood cell production in your bone marrow - the red blood cell factory.

Check with your doctor again and ask him to clarify your "touch of anemia" and exactly what therapy he is recommending. Write back if anything doesn't seem to make sense to you or if you have any further questions or concerns.

You're most welcome!

Dr. Bob

Previous
ultram/immunosuppression/fatigue
Next
PRO-Dr. Bob .... PROcrit

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.