Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

exhaustion

Dear Doctor,

I'm HIV positive and often feel exhausted. I'm presently not on any meds and I want to keep it that way for as long as possible. What can I do to help my fatigue that doesn't involve medications. I do use some herbs now and then. Thanks for your help.

P

Hi P,

Well the first thing that comes to mind would be moving next door to a Starbucks.

Kidding aside, you could try 1) allowing time for extra sleep and naps 2) arranging your work schedule to limit long days, tiring duties, and tight deadlines 3) taking frequent breaks 4) exercising regularly and consistently 5) eating a very well balanced and nutritionally sound diet 6) attending stress reductions seminars or counseling 7) minimizing use of sedatives -- e.g., alcohol.

Ideally you would want to determine the exact cause of your fatigue. Is it related to hormonal imbalance, depression, anemia, or some other very treatable cause? You mention you do use some herbs. Herbs contain active substances the same as medicines do. Check to see if your tiredness might be related to one of your herbal products or a side effect of that product.

If all else fails, there is still the possibility of that Starbucks....

RJF

Should I take growth hormone for my fatigue?
Fatigue??? Help!