Should I take growth hormone for my fatigue?

Dear Doctor,

I'm a 39 year old man with long standing HIV infection. I've been positive since at least '86. I've been on all kinds of meds over the years. Presently I'm on Rit.+ crixivan+ d4t + ddI + sustiva + and intermittent hydroxy urea. My numbers are OK and my viral load is hanging out around 7500 -- which is good for this cowboy. As you can probably guess I have my share of side effects. I have lipodystrophy, neuropathy and low red and white blood cell counts. I'm also really wiped out -- intermittently so tired I don't want to get out of bed. My weight is stable. My physician wants me to try growth hormone. She said it would help many of my symptoms including fatigue. Is this true? Any side effects I should watch out for? Thanks for your help.

Hi cowboy!

The low blood counts may be in part due to your hydroxyurea. You mentioned that you use this medication "intermittently". Is that because it affects your blood counts? If you are anemic (low red cell count), this could account for your fatigue. You mentioned you were "intermittently" tired. Any correlation between intermittently using the hydroxyurea and intermittently being wiped out? Check your blood count when you're felling fatigued and see if you're anemic.

Regarding growth hormone for treatment of lipodystrophy, here's what we know. It's been used in some trials as a potential therapy for fat accumulation (buffalo humps and abdominal fat). In doses lower than those recommended for treatment of HIV wasting, growth hormone did decrease the size of some buffalo humps and reduced some abdominal fat. Unfortunately these symptoms rapidly recurred when the growth hormone was stopped. Side effects of growth hormone include glucose intolerance and insulin resistance. Joint stiffness and pain also occurred quite frequently.

Wasting can lead to weakness. Growth hormone is approved for use in HIV wasting syndrome. You mention that your weight is stable. An HIV knowledgeable nutritionist can help you determine if you are losing lean body mass (wasting).

Growth hormone is not a therapy specifically for fatigue. You should also be evaluated for the various causes of fatigue – anemia, hormone imbalance, depression, lack of adequate rest, occult infection, etc.

Finally a resistance test, preferably a phenotype since you are very treatment experienced, may help fine tune your antiretroviral regimen. Best of luck!

RJF

Fatigue from lactic acidosis ????
exhaustion