Anemia and Nutrition

I have been very tired and my doctor has told me that I am anemic. He suggested I start eating more red meat. Is there anything else I can eat to reduce my anemia and to get more iron.

The first thing to do is check with your doctor once again. He advised you that you were anemic. There are several potential causes of anemia in the setting of HIV disease. One of the potential causes is iron deficiency, however the most common cause is HIV itself. If you are iron deficient you may require supplementation in the form of a pill as well as modifying your diet. If, however, you have "anemia of chronic disease" caused by the HIV virus itself, you should be treated with PROCRIT. This medication induces your body to make more red blood cells.

Other potential deficiencies that may induce anemia include vitamin B-12 and folate.

Increasing your consumption of "Big Macs" is seldom the only therapy needed for treatment of anemia in HIV positive individuals. Encourage your doctor to give you more information about your condition and a better treatment plan. Write back if you have additional questions after you talk with your doctor.

RJF

Magnesium Deficiency
JUST DX. SO MANY QUESTIONS