Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

increase energy levels

I am currently receiving B12 and Testosterone injections and still battle with fatigue. What type of stimulant could I ask my physician to prescribe? Looking to see if low dosage of amphetamine may work?

Well, there are several to choose from, but I really don't recommend any of them for HIV-related fatigue. Fatigue is a symptom, not a disease. As such, you must look for the cause and treat that, rather than trying to just cover up a symptom. The cause of HIV-related fatigue is often multifactorial. Amphetamines (stimulants) do not treat any of the potential causes and are not recommended for chronic use, due to side effects and addictive potential. Besides, who wants to take yet another pill? I'd suggest you work with your HIV specialist and take another look at potential causes for your fatigue. Why are you taking B12? Was your B12 level low? Is your testosterone level normal? Your blood level should be checked just before you get an injection. This will let you know if your blood level is falling too low in between injections. Low testosterone can be associated with fatigue. You might also consider the testosterone patches or gel to get a more constant blood level and get rid of the painful shots. In addition, you should make sure you're getting adequate rest, sleep, exercise, and nutrition. Any chance of an unrecognized infection or hormonal imbalance such as adrenal insufficiency or low thyroid hormone production? What about psychological fatigue brought on by stress, anxiety, and/or depression? Have you been checked for anemia, perhaps the most common cause of HIV-related fatigue?

I'd suggest investigating these common causes of fatigue before considering stimulants.

So confused- Tired with New Job
anemia question