a question for the good doctor

Hey Dr. Bob, Is hemoglobin the same thing as hematocrit? I asked my doctor if I was anemic and he said "maybe a little". So is that like being a little pregnant? He mentioned my hematocrit was thirtysomething. I'm a 40 year old guy and feeling kinda pooped. I'm on trizivir and viral load is OK according to my Dr. who hates giving me any infirmation. You mention hemoglobin alot. Is it the same as hematocrit. Should I do something different? Dude,you're the best. Thanks x-man

Hello x-man!

Dude? Hmmm . . . not sure I've been called that for a while. Dr. Dude. Now that has a ring to it!

OK, so you're a 40-something guy with a 30-something hematocrit whose pooped on Trizivir. Correct?

Let's talk about the lab tests first. Hematocrit is not the same thing as hemoglobin. Hematocrit measures the percentage of blood that is occupied by red blood cells, as opposed to plasma and other components. In general, red blood cells should make up 40%-52% of the total blood volume for men and 35%-46%, in women. Hemoglobin is an iron-containing protein that enables red blood cells to carry oxygen from the lungs and distribute it throughout the body. Normal hemoglobin for men is 14-18 g/dL and 12-16 g/dL for women.

So, as a 40-something guy, your 30-something hematocrit is low, most likely indicating you are anemic. Fatigue ("pooped" in dude-speak) is a very common symptom of anemia. Trizivir contains AZT, which is well known to cause suppression of the bone marrow, where red blood cells are manufactured. So, there may very well be a cause for your anemia. HIV itself and many other conditions can cause it as well.

Now what's this nonsense about your doctor not wanting to give you information? Just whose virus and whose lab work is it anyway? Should you do something different? Definitely. Start by making an appointment with your doctor and advising him you need much more information, like your exact lab test results, etc. If he doesn't have a change of heart (and attitude), I suggest looking for a new HIV specialist. Regarding your anemia, you have 2 treatment options, if it turns out to be caused by the AZT and/or HIV itself: 1) Switch your AZT or 2) consider staying on Trizivir as it seems to be working and treat your anemia with Procrit. Procrit is erythropoietin, a hormone that stimulates the bone marrow to make new red blood cells. It's highly effective and safe. And it has essentially no side effects. Best of luck x-man.

Dr. "Dude"

Thalassemia response
Doc found out what's NOT wrong but goes no further