Thalasemia

Dear Dr. Frascino,

I'm a worry weller that had a real exposure to someone who has HIV...it was a non-sexual exposure, but it was blood related. Anyway I have Thalassemia Intermedia although I'm asymptomatic...I know that sounds wierd, but it's true. Anyway I had a PCR DNA test done at 5 weeks to get me through the panic and because I got a bad cold days after...My question is, would Thalassemia affect any of the PCR type of tests or antibody tests to be either false negs or poz.

thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Peace

Nope, Thalassemia can cause anemia, but it won't interfere with HIV PCR or antibody tests. I won't ask about the non-sexual blood-related exposure! Stay well and you're welcome!

RJF

Fatigued from worry and night sweats downunder
HIV/Melatonin/Sleep