Just a personal note from South Africa

Dear Doctor

I just wanted to thank you for portraying so much hope and maintaining your wicked sense of humour even though your are positive.As a recently diagnosed South African I have drawn strength from people like yourself, and other Americans such as Mary Fisher whose words have all helped me see beyond the fear, and give me some hope .... Thank you. PS : I hope that you made it to the AIDS conference in Durban last year, and got a chance to see my beautiful (yet in many ways tragic) country ?

Hello South Africa!

Sorry to say that I missed Durban last year due to some poorly timed health problems of my own! I think it is the only International Conference I've missed. Truth be told, I was looking forward to a photographic safari as much as I was to the conference. Hopefully, I'll be able to make the trip sometime in the future.

You mention that I have a "wicked sense of humor," and a "positive" HIV status. That would make me "wickedly positive" or perhaps "positively wicked?" Either way, thanks for your kind words.

Conquering, or at least confronting fears, using this crisis as an opportunity, and utilizing hope and laughter as good medicine have worked well for me. That plus about seven thousand pills per year. (Of course, that pill count would decrease by half if I subtracted my Viagra.)

Stay well, keep smiling, and tell all the animals that I'll be by to take their picture sometime soon.

Falling RBC - do I need to change?
end of my tether