Vitamin B12 & Folate -- Elevated counts

New Yorker I recently had a blood test and My doctor referred me to a Hematologist for further evaluation. The doctor said he thought I had Pernicious Anemia and recommended that I take B12 shots for the rest of my life. The blood test titled VITAMIN B12 & FOLATE SHOWED; VITAMIN B12 SERUM >2000 (Quest labs reference range shows 200-1100) FOLATE,SERUM >20 (reference range >3.0) The hematologist said I could not be anemic since I have a high count and should not take B12 shots and said I should do nothing. What is your view. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Hi New Yorker,

From looking at your lab results, I'd definitely side with the hematologist on this one. The tests rule out pernicious anemia. I'm assuming the hematologist also looked at your hemoglobin level and found this to be normal as well, since he told you that you were not anemic. Now the big question is what was wrong with your first blood test that prompted your doctor to even think you had pernicious anemia and needed the hematology referral. Perhaps a laboratory error? Perhaps he slept through the lecture in medical school when they taught us how to diagnosis pernicious anemia? He or she clearly steered you in the wrong direction. I'd give him/her a call and find out why. If he/she is not forthcoming and apologetic, I'd consider searching for a new doctor!

RJF

You understand better than anyone !!!
Dr. prescribed proleuka for fatigue