The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vitamin B12 & Folate -- Elevated counts
Jul 28, 2001

New Yorker I recently had a blood test and My doctor referred me to a Hematologist for further evaluation. The doctor said he thought I had Pernicious Anemia and recommended that I take B12 shots for the rest of my life. The blood test titled VITAMIN B12 & FOLATE SHOWED; VITAMIN B12 SERUM >2000 (Quest labs reference range shows 200-1100) FOLATE,SERUM >20 (reference range >3.0) The hematologist said I could not be anemic since I have a high count and should not take B12 shots and said I should do nothing. What is your view. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi New Yorker,

From looking at your lab results, I'd definitely side with the hematologist on this one. The tests rule out pernicious anemia. I'm assuming the hematologist also looked at your hemoglobin level and found this to be normal as well, since he told you that you were not anemic. Now the big question is what was wrong with your first blood test that prompted your doctor to even think you had pernicious anemia and needed the hematology referral. Perhaps a laboratory error? Perhaps he slept through the lecture in medical school when they taught us how to diagnosis pernicious anemia? He or she clearly steered you in the wrong direction. I'd give him/her a call and find out why. If he/she is not forthcoming and apologetic, I'd consider searching for a new doctor!

Good luck.


You understand better than anyone !!!
Dr. prescribed proleuka for fatigue

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint