Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worry about her.....
Jul 25, 2001

Hai,Dr.Frascino,how r u? I'm ur big fan and I've almost read through all the mails in the forum (gaining some knowledges at the same time to deal with fatigue), and only u make me feel better than medicine. I really want to share something with u and need some advice, and I do really hope that u will reply my mail.

I'm 20+ hi+, my gal-. We still together and everyday I keep worry that she will infected by me, we never have sex b4 and I try to keep sex 'distace' with her. Is it she will get infected by me through breast mouthing and nipple sucking? What precaution that - + should aware during sex? I need some advice from u.

Another problem is concern about me. In my country, we only licensed some certain hiv drugs, NTIs:3TC,AZT,D4t,ddc,ddI. PIs:indinavir,nelfinavir,ritonavir,saquinavir. no non-nucleosides,no combivir and etc. My God..... I'm very scared that one day if i get resistant, no other options and is the end of my life. What should I do if this day comes and how to get the drugs which is still not trade in my country? Any International organisation to contact with? Thanks and I'm very touch that U have worked very hard for +patients,though I'm not US citizen, and not under ur care, I feel happy for them.............

Duke from Malaysia

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Duke from Malaysia,

Thank you for your kind comments! I make you feel better than medicine? Considering most of the medications we HIV-positive folks have to take cause so many nasty side effects, I guess making you feel better than that shouldn't be too difficult! Of course, I'm just kidding. I do very much appreciate your kind words.

You and your partner (one positive, one negative) are in the same situation as my partner and I. There is essentially no risk from "breast mouthing and nipple sucking." The precautions you should be aware of are generically called "safer sex" techniques. We have a whole expert forum on this website called "Forum on Safe Sex, Prevention, and Transmission." Check there for specifics regarding safer sexual practices. I can let you know that my partner and I have a wonderfully fulfilling sex life in spite of our different HIV statuses.

Secondly, regarding medication availability, Malaysia appears to have most of the nucleosides (except abacavir) and protease inhibitors (except Kaletra), but no non-nukes yet. Presently, there is a major push from international organizations, including the United Nations, to make all HIV drugs available to all countries. There are also clinical trials using some of the newer drugs scheduled to begin in many countries this year. If your present regimen is working well, and you are able to take all your medications as directed, hopefully you won't need another regimen for quite some time. I've been on my current regimen for 5 years!! Even if you become resistant to your current combination, a 2-PI or a PI-boosted regimen might work well for you.

The "end of your life?" No Duke, I think you will have a long and very happy life.

Stay well and write back if you are having any problems. In the meantime, check out some of the safer sexual practices on our other expert forum and enjoy!

RJF

Previous
hemoglobin going down
Next
normal fatigue and re normal fatigue

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.