Feeling exhausted!

Dear Dr. Bob,

This is another "Am I Infected questions" but I'll try my luck with you since you are quite good at calming people with your down to earth responses...

7 weeks ago I was involved in a situation with a woman whose HIV status I don't know. We did not have any kind of intercourse. I was fully dressed during the whole time. She only had a thong on. I was touching her body. She touched my face and her hands might have had a minimial amount of vaginal fluid on them but I'm not sure, although I did not actually feel any wetness.

Three to four weeks after the incident, I went to my doctor complaining about a funny feeling in my throat. He took some x-rays and said I had a sinus infection. I did not have a fever or swollen nodes. I took some anti-biotics and am okay now. However, the past few days I am feeling very tired and exhausted...even if I spend 12 hours in bed. Are these symptoms common this early in HIV infection (if in fact I do have it)? Waiting six months is too stressful. How reliable is the test at three months? What about PCR DNA/RNA? Please Dr. Bob, please answer me... Thank you...You are doing a great service!

OK, just a reminder to all my "Am I infected" and "Worried Well" friends out there: I'd really like to answer each and every one of you, but this forum is dedicated solely to HIV-related Fatigue and Anemia. We do have an entire forum dedicated exclusively for concerns about possible infection. It's called Forum on Safe Sex and Prevention. The experts there should be able to help.

Now, you were fully dressed and the woman was wearing a thong the whole time!?! And you are still worried? If HIV were that easy to contract, it would have wiped out the whole planet years ago. Your fatigue is most likely related to your recent sinus infection or anxiety over this incident. A negative test at 3 months is about 99% reliable. A PCR/DNA or RNA, if a person is indeed infected, would be positive even earlier.

Check out our forum on Safe Sex and Prevention for further information, and you can stop worrying about that lap dance. You're just fine. OK?

anemia treatment
A bit of nausea