Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re-Re Help:
Jul 5, 2001

Dear Doc (should call you buddy as much as we have chatted),

Anyway, I have inquired about my partner's fatigue in the past and asked about my risk (P.S. he is doing much better now--when he wakes he is vibrant and energized..he has more energy than I do!!!!). I took the PCR DNA HIV test at 7-8 weeks and it was neg, (p24 at 3 wks, and elise at 3 weeks--both neg). My doctor says it is okay and I do not need further testing. Anyway, I believe this, but for some reason want a second opinion; hence I turn to you! My partner and I would like to know how to proceed and since we know his positive status, but are still unsure of my status it is difficult. What a nightmare this has been...we just want to proceed with the wonderful life we had before this setback occured. Thank you so very much I really appreciate each answer you have given to the questions I have asked.

P.S. I will be back after we get his second VL and CD4 tests in 5-6 weeks for your advice. Look for me again. Thanks pal!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello again,

Welcome back to the forum. I agree with your physician. If you had only ELISA tests (antibody tests), you should be retested at 3 months and 6 months, but with your negative DNA/PCR test, you can now rest assured you're negative. Congratulations!

Also glad to hear your partner's fatigue is resolving.

How to proceed? Well, you are now what we call a discordant couple - one negative and one positive. Welcome to the club! My partner and I are in a similar situation. From personal experience, I can tell you this "setback" should not alter your "wonderful" life together. The new rules are "safer sex" and "negotiated risk." This means you and your partner must learn as much as you can about safer sex. We have an entire expert forum addressing this issue. Since practically nothing is completely without risk, the two of you must decide what level of safer sex risk you're willing to take. Once the new ground rules are in place, things will get back to normal - perhaps even better than ever!

Best of luck to you both. Hope you are as lucky as my partner and I! If that's the case, you indeed will have a very wonderful life!

Your "buddy,"

Dr. Bob

Previous
dear frascino
Next
anemia treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.