chances of developing anemia

Hey Dr. Bob, Loved your response about different types of fatigue and your "republican" examples. Thank you for helping us all to smile, laugh, and hope! OK now for my question. Who is more likely to get HIV-anemia, men or women? How about racial differences. Thanks in advance Your biggest fan (I weigh 347 pounds)

Dear biggest fan,

347 pounds? OK, you're spending way too much time at the computer (and perhaps at "In and Out Burger", as well) and not enough time at the gym. I'll answer your question if you promise to lose some weight. I'll be happier when you're a "medium sized" fan. OK?

Several large clinical studies have shown that women appear to have a greater risk of HIV-associated anemia than men. (This is exclusive of drug-related anemia, which can affect both equally.) Non-drug-related anemia in HIV-positive folks was also found to be more frequently associated with the African American race. Next week in Buenos Aires at the International AIDS Society Meetings, a medical paper by Drs. Creagh and Mildvan will be presented entitled "Anemia is more prevalent in women and African Americans with HIV/AIDS." This presentation should give further credence to what we have seen in other studies.

I'll be in Buenos Aires for that meeting and if I can tear myself away from my tango lessons, I plan to be in the audience to hear this presentation. So, watch this site for more information as it gets reported. Of course, you'll be watching from the treadmill or exercise bike, right?

Fatigued! tired! Positive?
dear frascino