so tired from my HIV -- what can I do?

I've been drinking fresh juices every morning and then again at night. I also take 40 different vitamins. The man at the health food store recommended this strategy when I told him I was tired all the time from my HIV. It has helped a little but I still feel like I've run a marathon every day. Can you tell me what other people are doing for their tiredness?

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Yikes! Forty different vitamins? It's great that you're drinking lots of fresh juices and are concerned about your nutrition, but vitamins alone will not solve the problem of fatigue. Vitamin supplementation for people with HIV disease is sometimes important. Some of the ways that foods are cooked, grown or processed removes essential vitamins. Also, the minimum daily requirement standards established by the government, are just that-minimum standards. People with HIV are living with a chronic illness and may need higher doses of some vitamins. Be careful. High intake of certain vitamins can be harmful; especially the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. I would recommend that you make an appointment with a nutritionist to insure that you're diet is also balanced in proteins and carbohydrates as well as vitamins. You haven't mentioned other details about your medical condition (i.e. CD4, viral load, medications etc.). Review the fatigue checklist of previously answered questions and see if any of these issues may be a source of your fatigue, then discuss the symptoms with your physician. Good luck!

Nutrivir Nutritional Supplement
Magnesium Deficiency