Hiperbaric oxigen therapy in chronic fatigue-Hiv related

Hiv+ since 1986, I have been suffered from the beginning of a debilitating fatigue and some light cognitive deficit.

My lab exams have always been good (cd4 between 450 and 750, Viral load quite always below the limit of detection).

Lately a SPECT SCAN found some areas of the brain ipoperfused.

My doctor suggest me a Hyperbaric oxigen therapy, what is the rationale of this therapy?

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Although neither my colleagues at the clinic or myself have treated or are familiar with hyperbaric oxygen therapy in treating HIV related fatigue, I did locate a reference in the literature that described a small study of twenty five patients with debilitating fatigue associated with HIV/AIDS. These patients underwent a series of treatments with 100%oxygen at two atmospheres of absolute pressure. The study concluded that the patients experienced relief of debilitating fatigue, and that this may be a useful adjunctive treatment. The study is published in the "Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care" (JANAC)1993 Jul-Sep 4(3):33-8. The author is Reillo MR. Have you also discussed the nore common causes of HIV related fatigue with your physician? (see above question and answer).

increased energy?
Still tired even with treatment