Fatigue and B12

Welcome to this great site. I have had bouts of severe fatigue, yet my Doc doesn't like B12. I have spoken to others who say they are quite helpful. Please advise -- Is it true that vitamin B12 shots help with fatigue?

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello. Thanks for the welcome. Vitamin B12 shots have become a source of controversy in treating fatigue associate with HIV disease. True Vitamin B12 defficiency and pernicious anemia are caused by insufficient intestinal absorption of ingested Vitamin B12,and hence, patients with this disorder must receive supplemental B12 via injection. Studies have shown that some people with HIV have low B12 levels, but data is lacking on the clinical signifigance of this. The camps are divided. Many medical providers will agree to treat patients with borderline low B12 levels; others will not. Some of my colleagues will treat but some think it is only a placebo effect that people feel. I have also noticed that some patients say they feel better after receiving B12 injections. Discuss this with your physician again and see what happens.

Long term use of B12
ginseng and ginko biloba