Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

B12 shots or drip
Apr 8, 1998

I know that B12 is recommended. But there are so many different styles--shots, drips, pills. Which ones have been proven to really work??? And should anyone with HIV take B12 or just people who have fatigue??

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin that is found in many green leafy vegetables and in some meat. Vitamin B12 is normally absorbed in the small intestine, with the aid of a substance called intrinsic factor. Deficiency can occur when the body can not absorb B12 from the intestinal tract or if a person is not consuming foods that are rich in B12. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause anemia and fatigue. Not everyone with HIV disease needs Vitamin B12 supplementation; however, many people with HIV have B12 levels below the "normal range". The most effective method of B12 replacement is by injection (shots). Recently, a nasal spray version of B12 has become available but I have not had any experience in using this method with my patients.

Previous
B12 (liquid)
Next
Long term use of B12

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.