Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Female HIV+ ****Healthy *** Tired*** No other symptoms
Jun 11, 1998

I m a female heterosexual - HIV+ for over 10 years - CD4 - 500 - VL <2700. On combo therapy. Work long days, director of a marketing dept., travel around the world a few times ayear.. and I am so tired - Feeling like "Stop the world I want to get off... and rest".

Is it unusual to be healthy for so long - (no HIV related illnesses experienced to date)

I feel like all I do is work and am too tired to enjoy the good things in life. I have a terrfic HIV- boyfriend of 3 years - a gem. I see a therapist weekly and never ever miss my med. schedule.

Is exhaustion a real symptom or am I being greedy expecting to work hard then be able to play hard. My Dr. dismisses the tiredness as no big deal. It seems very big to me - I am always tired. Any suggestions? After reading you Q/A I think I will get CBC count to check for anemia but don't think that is the problem.

Would love to hear from you. Hope vacation was great.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

I don't know how you do it. Yikes, what a busy schedule. First of all, no, it is not unusual to be healthy for so long. Many people with HIV live healthy lives with no symptoms for many years. It sounds like you're doing almost everything correctly. Viral load and CD4 counts look good; relationship sounds stable and you're seeing your therapist regularly. You didn't mention which medications you were taking. That might have some effect at your energy level, although I think the major source of your fatigue is obvious- look at some key words in your question---director of marketing, long days, travel around the world, too tired to enjoy life. No medication regimen will improve the quality of life if we don't allow it to. It sounds like your hectic schedule is the major culprit. It might be time to reevaluate your lifestyle (meaning job) in order to take a closer look at the fatigue issue. I don't think you're being greedy by working so hard, but it sounds like your body is telling you to slow down and smell the flowers. Good Luck. Let us know how things go.

Previous
Adendom to Female HIV+ Tired
Next
Fatigue and rest

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.