Rapid heart rate with minimal exercise

Dear Dr. Molaghan

dignosed with aids 2 yrs ago. Presently on Nelfinivir, neviripine azt/3tc. About a year ago I had some disturbing news (brother died) and my heart rate went up almost immediately. What's strange is that although I have come to grips with what I thought was the cause, heart rate still at or over 100 bpm. When I first wake up in the morning it is 96 to 104. So, when I exercise, it goes up to 140's with just a rep or two, and takes well over an hour to calm down.

also having trouble sleeping. My doctor has been aware of this and oredered thyroid test....negative adrenaline test also neg. Started taking lorazepam 1 mg in a.m. 1 mg in evening. This helped but he recently cut my dose in half and symptoms have come back. I'm not generally fatigued, but this is making me anxious, which only adds to the cycle.

What gives?

Thanks, AL

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello AL

Hope you're feeling better. You didn't mention if you've had a cardiac evaluation.

The symptom you are describing is tachycardia. Anxiety or stress sometimes induces this, but it's important to insure that the mechanisms which regulate the heartbeat are in order. A thorough cardiac evaluation is important inpatients who have abnormal rate or rhythm. Frequently, panic attacks can cause rapid heartbeat. Ativan is excellent for short-term treatment of panic attacks, but can also be addicting if used for long periods of time. A counseling referral might be helpful to determine if these are indeed panic attacks, which can be treated effectively with medication and therapy. Good luck. Let us know how things work out.

fatigue but not anemic
HTLV-1 AND AIDS