Brother needs answers

My brother was admitted last week to a hospital with aids and is in the 3rd stage. I don't understand what is meant by third stage. Also he has a CD4 count of 18 as of yesterday. I think I read it should be between 400-1800. I really don't understand what this is telling us. He has no tumors and is now in physical therapy. He is very tired and takes about 12 pills a day. He is to be in therapy for two weeks and then is to go to my mothers. One more question, a friend of mine said the T count is what you really have to look for. The doctors say he responding well. My mother who is 78 is going to be taking care of him. I guess I just want to know what I can expect -- thank you

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's hospitalization. Your question has many issues that need much more attention. I would recommend that you speak with a social worker or a nurse at the hospital to help you understand your brother's illness better. It sounds like your brother has advanced HIV disease. The CD4 count is the same as the T count. Your brother's count is quite low at 18. The many pills he's taking are probably medicines to prevent infections and improve the immune system. Since I don't know your brother's case, I can't comment on the details. You would benefit from having a discussion with his medical team (MD, RN, and social worker). Also, any local AIDS service organization would be able to help you with more face to face information. Good luck.

what does AIDS stand for?
fatigue but not anemic