Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/AIDS, co-diagnosis Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, antivirals, toxic chemical exposure.
Sep 24, 1998

I am a Registered Nurse working in Australia in health promotion, education, information and counselling for people with HIV. I have lived with symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome now for over ten years. My work indicates to me that there are numbers of people living with HIV who also have an unrecognised dual diagnosis of CFS/HIV. These people may also be unusualy intolerant of antiviral and other medication. Recent research in Australia indicates organochlorine pesticides play a significant role in CFS. The conventional view in Australia regarding extreme fatigue in people with HIV is that HIV alone causes this. Is there any research of which you are aware, that is being undertaken to investigate any realtionship between fatigue, HIV, CFS and exposure to pesticides and other environmental toxins? I suspect that a more open minded approach to this question may provide significant results.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello Thanks for your comments. My experience with patients with symptoms of CFS and HIV has not shown any increased intolerance to antiviral medication (thus far). I agree that clinicians must have a more open mind about potential toxins as a cause of CFS. I am not aware of any research correlating pesticides, HIV and CFS. It's quite difficult to find good data on quality of life issues such as fatigue in much of the HIV research that has been done (fatigue is difficult to quantify, and is very subjective). I am encouraged, however that much the HIV related nursing research that has been done, does look at quality of life issues. Keep us informed of any new findings from Australia.

Previous
Could lose my job...
Next
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.