Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Th1 shift and HIV-related fatigue
Dec 20, 1999

Dear Doctor, lately after 15 years that i have been affected by HIV-related fatigue my doctors in Italy and USA agree in connecting my fatigue to my specifical citokines profile. More specifical I have high levels of TNF, IL5, IL2R. I have what is call a Th2 citokines profile. The therapy should be in obtaining a Th1 shift. In this regard the therapy proposed are different like a Staphylococcal vaccine or lymph node cell expansion, activation with IL-2, and reinfusion. Do you know about this or other way to obtain the Th1 shift? Do you know who is doing in USA this kind of research? Thank you for your time. Daniele

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

Most people with advanced HIV disease have a Th2 cytokine profile. It might be possible to obtain a Th1 shift with low dose interleukin 2 (IL-2); however, IL2- can cause flu like symptoms and may exacerbate the fatigue. I've consulted with several colleagues and none are aware of research that you've described being done in the USA. Are you being treated with anti-retroviral therapy? What is your current viral load? You might also want to submit this question to The Body's Treatment Forum.

Previous
Menstruation
Next
Total Lymphocyte Count vs. CD4 Lymphocyte Count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.