Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My Son is Dying, pls help me
May 4, 1999

Thank you in advance. My 30 yr old son has Aids and a t-cell of 2 and a high viralload. He cannot maintain weight. We are trying a new herb therapy to induce hunger. What can I do. Will taking walks help him increase his appetite? Ensure isn't satisfying to him. He is on no protacal because of resistnce. We want the quality to be better than the quanity. Thanks for helping.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

I'm sorry to hear that your son is feeling so poorly. There are several options for weight gain in HIV disease including appetite stimulants such as Megace, Marinol and in some states medical marijuana. Also, anabolic steroids such as Oxandrin, Nandralone and Testosterone are useful in helping to increase lean body mass. Please submit this question to The Body's Forum on Wasting, Diet Nutrition and Exercise. I hope you find some help there. Unfortunately, when AIDS becomes quite advanced, it's difficult for patients to maintain body weight.

Previous
A Possible Cause?
Next
Menstruation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.