Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please help
May 11, 1998

as i search for answers it is only your responses that seem to be so simple as to allow me to understand. so PLEASE answer this question? I'm having a four month long cough that produces phelm that my dr diagnosed as bronchitos. he prescribed a puffer and antibodicts. i admit i had unprotected sex about 18 months ago and about six weeks later my soul mate had a severe red rash all over her stomach, breast, chest, and and a little on the back. the dr. said it was something new that they are still studying????? he then did a automated hemogram, 19blood/urine tests(smac), and a thyroid panel w/tsh. is this severe rash similiar to rashes that is sometimes found in hiv infections? what are these test for. is this DR. sincere when he says it is something that is still being tested. I know you are very busy but PLEASE PLEASE email. this info.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

I can appreciate your level of anxiety in the presence of your ongoing symptoms. There are many unanswered questions in your question. A productive cough (one that produces phlegm) of four months duration can frequently be due to bronchitis, especially if you are a smoker. Are your symptoms improving with the treatment? You mentioned that you had unprotected sex eighteen months ago. Was this with someone other than your regular partner? Are you HIV positive? Some people develop a characteristic rash within a few weeks after becoming infected with HIV; however, this is usually accompanied by other symptoms such as a sore throat, fever, diarrhea and a general feeling of "being sick". Rashes can be caused by a multitude of illnesses. The blood and urine tests that were ordered by her doctor are quite standard in evaluating illness. Since this unprotected sexual contact was so long ago, (eighteen months), a blood test for HIV would be positive 99% of the time by now. Both you and your partner should be tested for HIV, either to rule out the possibility of infection or to allay your anxieties. It also sounds like some open communication between you and your partner or some counseling might help. Good luck. I hope things work out.

Previous
Primary infection and Fatigue
Next
Red blood cell indices and recent infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.