Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Epstein-Barr and Hiv
Sep 22, 1998

I am a gay male. I recently had contact with another male who disclosed the fact that he is HIV+ after much heavy petting and some oral sexual activity. Needless to say, I was devastated since I am HIV-. My question is this: Given the fact that I was tested with the Epstein-Barr virus approximately 10 years ago and he has exchanged bodily fluids with me (i.e., saliva only on my part through kissing), am I susceptible to infection with HIV? I understand that Epstein-Barr is a close cousin to the HIV virus. This has had me totally worried. The only oral sex was this other male to me. I did not reciprocate. This is very important as I have family members who are dependant upon me and my support. An accurate answer would be appreciated.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello I wouldn't necessarily describe Epstein-Barr as a close cousin of HIV, but it can be transmitted by exchange of body fluids. HIV disease is much more difficult to transmit, and the risk of infection for the type of activity you have described is low.

Previous
Fatigue and hair loss
Next
Is a retest recommended? Infant Anemia a concern?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.