Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Low WBC during standard testing - HIV???
Jan 19, 1999

I've been extremely concerned about being HIV infected, but testing negative on standard antibody tests. Therefore, I just recently asked my family doctor to order standard blood testing to see if everything else looked normal otherwise. Well, everything except a low WBC!!! I was told that between 4.8-11.0 THOU/CMM was the normal range and mine was at 3.75. My worst fear has come too close for comfort. I read that a low WBC could indicate HIV infection. How could all of my other antibody tests have missed this, I even tested up to 15 months post exposure??? Would you suggest a PCR test based on this information? Please respond A.S.A.P. HELP!!!

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

Although a decreased white blood count can be an indicator of HIV infection, it is not an absolute marker. The white blood count can be decreased in a number of other clinical situations including other viral infections, bone marrow abnormalities and even in response to some medicines. Discuss the other potential causes for this lab result with your physician. You might also find some useful information on HIV testing at The Body's

Safe Sex and Prevention Forum

Previous
Scared
Next
Negative antibody test 4 years after HIV contact?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.