Scared

A couple of weeks ago I had noticed a lymph node sticking out of my groin area and it hurt to touch it. Now I am sick with a sore throat and cough and i am borderline anemic, but I have never been like this before when I was anemic. I have recently been cold alot, then I will get hot but it could be 94 degrees and I'm still cold, but the problem is I don't know what I have and the doctors aren't telling me either, plus I've been with my boyfriend for 8 months now. Can you help me? I am very scared.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello I can understand that you feel scared with these unusual symptoms. A tender enlarged isolated lymph node is usually is usually a sign of a localized infection, but if it is persistent, it may need further evaluation. Although the sore throat and cough are probably unrelated, you should return to your doctor for further evaluation. If you and your boyfriend are not using condoms, and/or are not in a monogamous relationship, it is important that you be checked for sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. It is important that you communicate your concerns with your doctor and ask them to explain any tests and results to you. This is your right as a patient. Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.

SELFCHECK
Low WBC during standard testing - HIV???