Anemia but HIV neg. so Far

Dear Sir, I 'm sorry to take up your valuable time, but I'd like to ask a question about anemia, hopefully you can help. Ok my story starts with unprotected sex with a boyfriend 8months ago. To make a long story short, I got sick a few days after vag. intercourse with him. Fever, sorethroat, Bell's Palsy, Muscle jerks at night, hairloss, nightsweat for a period of months plus 12 hemogobin at the time i was sick down from 13.9. Ok, he tested neg 10wks after out encounter.I have tested neg by Elisa at 8wks, 12wks, 23wks plus all neg tests from Red Cross because i was told I was ok to donate after all these tests. Ok I went to donate today because they called and asked me to donate. Well, I have been feeling bad for awhile, hungery all the time. Eat but don't gain any weight. Anyway my Hemogloin was 11.0 and I wasn't allowed to donate. It scared me. How can I bring it up, I've been taking Multivitamins all along. I still worry, I'm sorry. Hope fully your advice can help. Thanks, Lori

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hi Lori Sorry to hear that you feel so crappy. The fact that your hemoglobin level is 11 now, and was 12 a short time ago indicates that something is not right. Anemia is a symptom of red blood cell loss or destruction. There are many potential sources of anemia including; bleeding (can be internal and slow), Vitamin B-12 deficiency, folate or iron deficiency, infection of the bone marrow, suppression of blood cell production by some pharmacologic agents, HIV infection and many HIV treatments, and in extreme cases infection or malignancy…. Just to name a few. Once a skilled practitioner (or hematologist) has identified the source of anemia, treatment options are available in most cases. See a good doctor and perhaps ask for a referral to a hematologist, especially if your hemoglobin level continues to decrease. Good Luck!

JBM

Please Answer
Fatigue, Now or Later?