Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anemia but HIV neg. so Far
Oct 29, 1999

Dear Sir, I 'm sorry to take up your valuable time, but I'd like to ask a question about anemia, hopefully you can help. Ok my story starts with unprotected sex with a boyfriend 8months ago. To make a long story short, I got sick a few days after vag. intercourse with him. Fever, sorethroat, Bell's Palsy, Muscle jerks at night, hairloss, nightsweat for a period of months plus 12 hemogobin at the time i was sick down from 13.9. Ok, he tested neg 10wks after out encounter.I have tested neg by Elisa at 8wks, 12wks, 23wks plus all neg tests from Red Cross because i was told I was ok to donate after all these tests. Ok I went to donate today because they called and asked me to donate. Well, I have been feeling bad for awhile, hungery all the time. Eat but don't gain any weight. Anyway my Hemogloin was 11.0 and I wasn't allowed to donate. It scared me. How can I bring it up, I've been taking Multivitamins all along. I still worry, I'm sorry. Hope fully your advice can help. Thanks, Lori

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hi Lori Sorry to hear that you feel so crappy. The fact that your hemoglobin level is 11 now, and was 12 a short time ago indicates that something is not right. Anemia is a symptom of red blood cell loss or destruction. There are many potential sources of anemia including; bleeding (can be internal and slow), Vitamin B-12 deficiency, folate or iron deficiency, infection of the bone marrow, suppression of blood cell production by some pharmacologic agents, HIV infection and many HIV treatments, and in extreme cases infection or malignancy…. Just to name a few. Once a skilled practitioner (or hematologist) has identified the source of anemia, treatment options are available in most cases. See a good doctor and perhaps ask for a referral to a hematologist, especially if your hemoglobin level continues to decrease. Good Luck!

JBM

Previous
Please Answer
Next
Fatigue, Now or Later?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.