Sharp Headache, blurred vision, swollen glands

Hi Doc

Whats your theory about this one? Approx. 2 weeks ago I had unprotected gay sex. Soon following I developed an itchy beard area, with small "hives" wich seemed to weep when scratched. The doctor prescribed Augmentin and a topical antibiotic cream for two weeks. During this time all glands in my neck were up, inc behind my ears, and the middle of my throat. I am now reaching the end of the course of treatment and the glands are down, and the hives almost gone - but I have developed fatigue, with occasional blurred vision. During this time I have had no fever, but a continuous dull headache. Is it worth getting this all checked out? Could it mean possible infection?

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello The symptoms you are describing sound like a bacterial infection, commonly referred to as impetigo. The swollen glands are a natural response by the immune system to try and fight off the infection (usually caused by staphylococcus). I don't think the infection is directly related to the unprotected sexual encounter, however, people with HIV disease tend to be more prone to skin infections. Yes, fatigue and blurred vision should be checked out. It might be wise to consider HIV testing and safer sex counseling. Good luck.

Anxiety and night sweats
Is it possible to feel 100% fine during SYMPTOMATIC HIV disease?