Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sharp Headache, blurred vision, swollen glands
Dec 9, 1999

Hi Doc

Whats your theory about this one? Approx. 2 weeks ago I had unprotected gay sex. Soon following I developed an itchy beard area, with small "hives" wich seemed to weep when scratched. The doctor prescribed Augmentin and a topical antibiotic cream for two weeks. During this time all glands in my neck were up, inc behind my ears, and the middle of my throat. I am now reaching the end of the course of treatment and the glands are down, and the hives almost gone - but I have developed fatigue, with occasional blurred vision. During this time I have had no fever, but a continuous dull headache. Is it worth getting this all checked out? Could it mean possible infection?

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello The symptoms you are describing sound like a bacterial infection, commonly referred to as impetigo. The swollen glands are a natural response by the immune system to try and fight off the infection (usually caused by staphylococcus). I don't think the infection is directly related to the unprotected sexual encounter, however, people with HIV disease tend to be more prone to skin infections. Yes, fatigue and blurred vision should be checked out. It might be wise to consider HIV testing and safer sex counseling. Good luck.

Previous
Anxiety and night sweats
Next
Is it possible to feel 100% fine during SYMPTOMATIC HIV disease?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.