Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Central fatigue and HIV
May 12, 1999

After more than 12 years of HIV-related fatigue in a good contestual clinical situation (CD 4 > 500; Viral Load below the limit of the method). My doctor have found a possible specifical cause for the fatigue with low levels of some aminoacids, especially tryptophan, and high urinary serotonin.

What is your opinion of what is call "central fatigue"? Are there any connection with HIV infection? What are the possible therapy

Thank you for your attention

Daniele

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

This is the first I've heard of "central fatigue." I'd be very interested in reviewing any information correlating the fatigue with imbalances of these substances. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter and many of today's antidepressants are inhibitors of serotonin re-uptake, and work very well. Clinical depression is a major cause of fatigue, so therefore, correcting the supposed imbalance frequently helps the depression and fatigue. Is your physician offering you some sort of treatment? Let us know.

Previous
Always fixable?
Next
Testosterone & hiv combo therapy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.